I have a confession to make; well, several actually. I posted a video recently that helps you get to know me (take a look-see here), and now I feel like there are a few things I need to get off my chest. Let's face it, I'm not a perfect human being, or a perfect Tarot reader for that matter, so it's time to fess up and let you all in on a secret or two.
So, without further ado, some Tarot reader confessions:
1. I am a HORRIBLE shuffler. I don't know what it is, but 9 times out of 10 I drop the cards, screw up the dovetail, or forget which piles I reversed and which I didn't. Because of this, I try and keep my shuffling simple and straight to the point. I also ignore any cards that many would consider "jumpers" because, let's face it, it fell on the floor because I'm shuffling challenged.
2. I don't like the Celtic Cross. I have tried my damnedest to get a good feel for it, and even blogged about it once, but truth be told I don't like it and probably never will. There are way too many variations, and since I feel I can't get a consistent THIS card means THIS out of any of the interpretations, I've officially thrown in the towel. I know it's a part of Tarot tradition, but what can I say? I'm a rebel.
3. I have a crush on The Magician from Dame Darcy's Mermaid Deck. Don't judge.
4. I have Tarot decks that I've forgotten about. I opened the chest I keep them all in the other day and found at least three in my collection I forgot existed. Will I be giving them away or trading them? Of course not! What if I need them one day??
5. The Rider-Waite-Smith is my shit. I own and use a lot of beautiful decks that I absolutely adore, but the RWS is the one I always come back to. It just feels so classic and esoteric to me. I love the way it feels in my hands and I feel like a true reader when I'm using it. Does that make me a true reader? Of course not! But let me feel my feelings, OK?
6. I've taken to using Reiki on my cards, and use the power symbol either mentally or physically to cleanse and charge my decks for the highest good each time I use them. Since starting this practice, I have found readings to be much more profound and insightful. Does that make me a "woo-woo" weirdo? I most certainly hope so!
7. I just bought my first Rachel Pollack book. I KNOW! I know. It's already been too long to go without...I promise I'll finish it soon.
8. I really want a cat-themed deck, but may be overthinking how I want the symbolism to look and haven't found one that's "spoken" to me yet. Does that make me a crazy cat person or a crazy Tarot person? Or does it make me both...? #YOLO
9. There has been more than one time in my life where I've taken all my decks out, sat on the floor, and just played with them. Shuffled them (horribly, mind you), laid them out in fake spreads for pretend clients, gazed at the images, and just held the different decks in my hand while gazing at them. Do NOT pretend you haven't done the same...
10. Tarot has changed my life, plain and simple. It's made me a better person, a happier person, a more fulfilled person, a more magickal person, and has helped me feel like I've finally found my place in this world. I honestly can't imagine my life without it :-)